10 Tips to Overcome Negative Thoughts

1. Meditate or do yoga 

   One of the first things i did was head to e yoga class. It took my focus away from my thoughts and brought my attention to my breath. Yoga is very relaxing which ease my mind. It also helped me to stay present to my experience instead of jumping to what could happen, it brought me back to the now - to this moment, to the most important moment. 

2. Smile 

   I didn't do this a lot so I needed to bring myself in front of the mirror and force myself to smile. It really change your mood and relieve the stress. 

3. Surround yourself with positive people 

   When you stuck to a negative spiral talk to people who can put things into perspective and won't feed your negative thinking. I always call my boyfriend or my bff. 

4. Change the tone of your thoughts from negative to positive 

   For example instead of thinking '' I can't do this, it's so hard'' you think ''It hard, but I can do this'' 
or instead of  ''We are going to have a hard time with our living situation'' you think ''We are going to have some challenges with our living situation, but we will solve them'' 

5. Don't play the victim - take responsibility 

   No matter how hard it is, there always a way out. You always have a choice to make change happen. Never be afraid to take a responsibility, to risk, to make some changes. 

6. Help someone 

   Take the focus away from you and do something nice for another person. You can volontier in the red cross, some other humanitarian organization or just put some money on some sick person's bank account. That will make you feel better immediately.

7. Remember that no one is perfect and let yourself to move forward 

   It's easy to dwell on mistakes. It's ok to feel sorry because you act that way and because you ruin the weekend, but that's it. Now you should learn from your mistakes and move forward. You definitely don't like to ruin another weekend. 

8. Sing 

   Even if you don't know the lyric and you sing horrible like me, you just keep singing and you will always feel better. When you sing you show your feelings and that makes you to release your stress. 

9. List five things that you are grateful right now 

   Being grateful helps you appreciate what you already have. Here is my list: my family, health, my dog, my boyfriend and my for passing my hardest exam. 

10. Read positive quotes  

   Place post-it notes on your computer, on the fridge door, on the mirror and a lot of other places in your house as a reminders to stay positive. 

Comments